CLOK is the local orienteering club for Cleveland and surrounding areas, including including Stockton and Middlesbrough, and stretching from Darlington and Barnard Castle in the west to Whitby in the east, and from Hartlepool in the north to Northallerton in the south. Many of our competition areas are around the scarp slopes on the northern and western edges of the North York Moors, including areas of open moorland and wooded hillsides. During a CLOK event you might pass close to the eye-catching landmark of Roseberry Topping, or run right past Captain Cook’s Monument.
We have an exciting calendar of events, at least one weekend event per month, as well a midweek summer series, and an autumn Saturday series. See the Future Events page for information about events in the near future.
We support orienteering in schools across the area, including mapping schools and training teachers, as well as inter-schools events. See the Contacts page if you are a school and want to learn more.
In 2004 CLOK was one of the first two orienteering clubs in the UK to achieve Sport England’s Clubmark accreditation. For further information about Clubmark and what it means for CLOK click here.
Benefits of joining CLOK
Some casual orienteers are happy to just run an event now and then and take it no further. However, CLOK is a thriving club and we welcome new members. Benefits of joining CLOK include:
- Discounted entry to regional and national events
- Ability to enter major UK events such as the JK and British Championships
- Represent the club with free entry to relays and inter-club competitions such as the Yvette Baker Trophy for juniors and CompassSport Cup for all ages
- Being part of the club atmosphere at major events like the JK, and Scottish, Lakes and Welsh multi-day summer events
- Access to club training activities and social events
- Hear about club activities, events, and more via our weekly email newsletter
- Buy subsidised CLOK kit including orienteering tops and sprint vests, jackets and Buffs
- Become part of the orienteering community by volunteering at our events
How to join CLOK
To become a member of CLOK as a new orienteer you must also become a member of the national governing body, British Orienteering. To join British Orienteering and CLOK:
- Go to the Join Online page on the British Orienteering web site.
- Select CLOK from the club drop-down box.
- NEOA will appear automatically in the association box.
- Choose the membership grade you require.
- Click on Submit.
- Check the information and click on Submit
- Follow the instructions to enter your contact and other details.
If you are already a British Orienteering member with another CLOK, and would like to change clubs to CLOK, you need to contact British Orienteering at email@example.com to change your club affiliation.
If you would like any further information about joining CLOK then please contact the CLOK Membership Secretary, Graeme Addison (phone: 07840-310008 email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Notes and fees
For 2022, the annual fees to join both CLOK and British Orienteering are as follows:
- Senior £22.00
- Junior £8.50
- Family £8.50 plus £15.00 per adults and £5.00 per junior (for example £48.50 for a family of two adults and two children)
A Junior for 2022 is is someone born in 2002 or later.
A Family is either one or two seniors and any number of juniors, all of whom are resident at the same address. A family of two seniors and two juniors will save £12.50 by opting for Family membership rather than individual memberships.
If you join after 1st November you get up to two free months membership; i.e. your membership will run from when you join until 31st December the following year.
Children who are no longer juniors should join as a separate seniors rather than as Family members.
Towards the end of each year you will receive a renewal notice from British Orienteering for the following year’s membership.